Claires - DO NOT GET PIERCED HERE!!!

98 of 139 Claires reviews

When I was younger(I am now 20) I got my ears pierced here and the earring was so small that it went INSIDE my earlobe!It was so painful and my parents couldn't get it out so we had to go to a doctor.

Now, years later, my little sister just got hers pierced and my mother even asked the lady piercing them if the earring was too small, as she did not want what happened to me to happen to my sister, the lady assured her they were fine and nothing would happen. Me and my dad just had to attempt to get the earring out of her ear lobe as she cried in pain! The earring was SO tight and SO small that it began to press against the ear and there is now a hole the size of a belly button piercing(which is A LOT larger than a ear piercing!) My mother is going back there this weekend to talk to a manager and is demanding a refund!

Ridiculous!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Ear Piercing
Review category
Health and Beauty
review #580566

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Claires? Submit review ›
Helpful? 2 Yes 2 2 No 2
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
98 of 139 Claires reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jan 18, 2015 #932915

The earrings are not too small for your ears. If the back if on too tight then it can become embedded into the ear lobe. There a little indentation on the post of the earring where the back of the earring is supposed to be. Another issue could be that you have thicker ear lobes and need a long post which Claires provides.

7 0 Reply
NosyRosy

Jan 27, 2015 #937327 Central Square, New York, United States

You are EXACTLY correct. It is a condition known as embedding, caused by the back of the earring being on too tightly (not resting on the safety notch located on the earring post), which basically results in the front of the earring being pulled into the ear. This can happen no matter where you get your ears pierced. However, it is something that should be discussed with you by any piercer....my daughter had hers done at Claire's (3 times, including cartilage and no problems) and we were educated by our piercer (an experienced store manager) on embedding and the risks of the earring back being on too tight. We were also told that normal day to day activity can cause the earring back to work itself on tighter, and were advised that every time we cleaned her ears (3 times a day), we were to check that the earring back was on the safety notch, located a safe distance from the back of the ear lobe.

7 0 Reply
NosyRosy

Jan 27, 2015 #937329 Central Square, New York, United States

....and if one felt the earring was too small to begin with, why would one chose that particular earring (cheapest perhaps)??? There are many larger styles to select from....

3 0 Reply
Mels

Jan 10, 2015 #929181 Port Orange, Florida, United States

Actually, dermatologist use to and some still do ear piercing. That is the best and safest way to get your ears pierced. It's a part of you body, and because you're opening a hole into flesh it's considered a minor surgical procedure. So let the professionals do it, instead of taking chances of getting who knows what kind of disease from a mom & pop shop that's cheaper! Just saying. . .

3 1 Reply

Jan 10, 2015 #929011 London, London, United Kingdom

Everyone knows you shouldn't pierce your ears at Claire's and that you should go to a professional piercing shop that uses a needle than a gun, even for lobes, because of the risk of infections and the fact that they don't know what they're doing. This is coming from someone who has a number of piercings. Please treat your body well and get a professional piercing, they have similar prices to Claire's and a cleaner (and safer) area to have your piercing done.

4 2 Reply

Jan 10, 2015 #929012

I would hardly say "everyone knows". But, I do agree, don't go to Claire's and let some 17 year old pierce your ears as they don't know what they are doing. When I was 17, I was hired to work in a chain similar to Claire's and I received no training on piercing ears, even though it was a main portion of my job. I had no clue what I was doing. Definitely spend a few extra bucks and go to any tattoo shop that does piercings or specializes in them and you won't have the problems as described above.

4 3 Reply

Jan 10, 2015 #928967

What BS.

3 2 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.